Pregnant during GTP/PGCE year - time off?

TES Trainee teachers - Forum

This is the place to share your experiences and to get support and advice from your peers. We’ve also got our teacher training expert ready to answer your questions online on topics including school placements, mentors and lesson planning.

Members 6148 Total Posts 18408

Pregnant during GTP/PGCE year - time off?

I was wondering whether or not anyone has any experience of being pregnant during their teacher training year? I am on the GTP route and am currently 8 weeks pregnant and really ill. Uni have asked my placement school to reduce my hours but they haven't done this. I'm exhausted and constantly sick/nauseous. I'm seriously considering taking time off but I don't know how this will affect my course?

I do realise that this wasn't the best time to get pregnant but it has happened and we're very happy so please lets not be like the mumsnet bunch who basically berated me for getting pregnant in the first place :(

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

I'm not an expert but surely your school has a duty of care towards you and should have carried out a risk assessment as soon as they became aware of your pregnancy.  Only your uni can tell you how taking time off sick will affect your course so you should speak to them again.  You won't be the only GTP trainee who this has happened to.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Posted
    Congratulations! The good news is that for most people the morning sickness goes away around the 12-16 week mark, so by half term you should hopefully be feeling better. Definitely get a risk assessment done and if you are particularly ill with it all then get signed off by the GP. It may not be great for your course, but your health and that of the baby has to come first! When would your GTP training end? Do you "just" have to get to the end of this term?
    Posted

Thanks to both of you!

I think I do need to go back to uni and tell them what has/hasn't happened and be a bit more forceful. There was talk of a risk assessment at school but everyone is up to their eyes sorting course work just now and I've not heard anything back. I'm a science student so chemicals are going to be an issue!

The GTP year ends at the end of July. I should be fine after half term but the next 5 weeks are probably going to be hell. I'm teaching a full day tomorrow and haven't planned anything at all. It would be better for the kids if the class teachers could take over for a couple of weeks as my lessons last week were terrible. I've basically been told just to show up and do my best which isn't fair on the students. They aren't going to learn much from me over the next couple of weeks so I'm failing them by going in and I'm getting stressed out by trying.

Think I'll try to get an appointment tomorrow and force their hand!

Posted

Congrats on your pregnancy! Be warned; I had awful morning sickness and I was sick almost every day for the first 20 weeks! I really feel for you it must be so tough!

I have a 2 year old now and I'm doing my PGCE!

Posted

You school has a duty of care and they should follow the uni advice. Get the uni to talk to the school again. Others have completed GTP while pregnant and there are many teachers who have worked through large portions of their pregnancy. If necessary get a note from your GP and then it would be a very unwise school that gnored medical advice.

The Sage

Posted