SEN Interview Questions

TES Unemployed teachers - Forum

Get support and advice from other teachers in the Unemployed Teachers Group. You’ll find advice on alternative career options, application tips and general support on how to deal with being unemployed.

Members 1812 Total Posts 9620

SEN Interview Questions

I am just wondering what you would put as the top 8 questions to be asked at perhaps any tecahing interview but more specifically at a SEN interview?

P.s this forum is really helpful.

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply

The worst one I had which really wrong footed me was the very first question 'what are your weaknesses as a teacher?' I just heard the word 'weaknesses' and mentally crumbled! I've read around for advice and the best one was 'stay away from weaknesses actually related to the job you are applying for' e.g. 'I'm not a very fast typist but I've enrolled on a typing course to improve'. Bland but safe.

Why do you want this job? What will you bring to the post? What do you think is the role of parents? What do you do in your spare time? How do you measure progress in your students? What would you do if students are not making progress? Tell us something about yourself. What is your philosophy on behaviour management? How could you engage demotivated students? What does inclusion mean to you?

Posted

Worst one yet - and the very first question - 'what are your weaknesses as a teacher?'

Other ones I can remember recently-

What does inclusion mean to you?

How do you motivate pupils?

What do you do in your spare time?

What is the role of parents?

Describe your method of behaviour management. 

Posted

poppy83

I am just wondering what you would put as the top 8 questions to be asked at perhaps any tecahing interview but more specifically at a SEN interview?

If you could give some more info about the post, then it would be easier to answer your queries?

Also why not look on the Special Ed forums as there will certainly be some info there for you

BB

Posted

Thanks I have come up with a few questions myself from lookin at the job spec.

Questions involving:

Behaviour

Curriculm

Inclusion

Team work

Experience

Skills and qualities

ICT

Parent partnership

Community links

Extra curricular.

Cheers poppy83

Posted

Depending on what kinds of SEN post it is I was asked a lot at interview about how I would communicate with different pupils to ensure that lessons were interesting and understood. If it is a special school not all your pupils will be vocal so you have to think about VAK and whole communcation approaches.

I was also asked about the role of parents in a special school and how I would include parents.

They also asked me what my classroom would look like. In a special school consideration has to be given to the types of displays you can have in the classroom. A constantly changing classroom could be confusing and unsettling to some SEN pupils. I also have things like a visual timetable so all pupils can understand what will happen during the day. 

Hope this is of some help but as mentioned on here the Special ed forum will have more info.

Posted

Forgot to say if it is a special school post they may ask about working with a support team. In a special school you will have more TA, HLTA ect than in mainstream.
    Posted