Prob doesnt belong here.Anyone else left teaching for a new career?

TES Workplace dilemmas - Forum

If you’re looking for advice and support to help you deal with your workplace problems then join the TES Workplace Dilemmas group. Topics discussed include problems with parents, teacher bullying, stress and disciplinary procedures.

Members 4262 Total Posts 34808
Please enter a number between 1 and 5 Page of 5 »

Prob doesnt belong here.Anyone else left teaching for a new career?

After having a very tough time of things at wwork in recent months and a lot of soul searching i made the decision to cut my hours dramatically at work. In the meantime i applied for a management position out of teaching and was thrilled and suprised toget it. I start at the beginning of February but Im starting a handover one day a week during January. Im staying at school for January 2/3 days a week as needed doing sen work only- trying to get a terms work done in a month. Ive been teaching 14 years and was in slt so obviously there is some trepedation attached to my decision. Im leaving a decent pension, good holidays etc The pay in my new job is still good though.

Has anyone else left for another career or knows of people who have?

Thanks

Posted
    Please Log in or Join this group to replyReply
    On my way, I am retraining. Hope all goes well.
    Posted

Good luck casper. What you retraining as?

Posted
    Congratulations! You inspire me. I have also applied for posts outside of teaching. Fingers crossed! Well done again! x
    Posted
    What post are you all applying for as this sounds great and something I would love to do
    Posted
    I will inbox you Miss mirry as dont want to be too specific and give my identity away. Its been a longtime coming for me. I probably should have left about 3 years ago so its not been a kneejerk reaction. I want some sort of life back!!
    Posted
    Thans laydeedah! Good luck with your job applications. Make sure you play on the diversity of a beging a teacher and the number of skills and attributes it requires. It was my slt experience of managing people that swung it for me. Good luck!
    Posted
    Have inboxed you miss mirry.
    Posted
    I will Pm you as I do not wish to give too much away here either.
    Posted

I've been reading these types of messages for years, having felt the urge to leave myself.

Well. I finally quit my post in the summer. People thought I was insane. I left a well paid job on the SLT for supply!

I have 26 years left until retirement, and there is no way a 66 year old me can teach classes of kids. A full days teaching is like putting on 5 one hour variety shows to 150 different kids! And I've got to be as enthusiastic as Steve Irwin for each one. I find it utterly exhausting now, I'd never make it to retirement!

When I eagerly joined the profession 14 years ago I didn't realise that it was a young man's game. I thought it was a job for life. But I don't anymore. Sure I could grit my teeth for another ten years or so, but then I'd need to go part time to cope. I wouldn't be playing golf on my day off. I'd be marking, or planning, or replying to emails and analysing data. A part time salary for a full time job.

I want something that I can do full time until retirement, and that I might be able to continue to do past retirement age. 

I am considering a Masters at the moment to bridge the gap to writing or something totally new like the green energy sector.

Good Luck All

Posted

Seems a lot of New Years Resolutions to get out of teaching going on?!!!

Am looking around myself so hopefully something will come along before the year is out? Really can't see me putting up with this nonsense for much longer??? Looking at the posts on here I suspect there is an increasing pool of disaffected teachers entering (or trying to enter) the job market.

Good luck to one and all.

Posted
    Although I have not started my nqt yet, i am already thinking of doing something else (how bad is that) Just wondered what other jobs people have applied for, just to give me an idea. Feel free to pm me if you do not wish to post on here, i am looking for ideas and inspiration!!
    Posted

Good luck compassman! Sign up to every job alert you can. Job hunting is time consuming but ultimately it is worth it. You are right about part time too- i tried that- marking and planning around doing washing, tidying up and schools runs tended to be the order of the day!

Let us know how you get on! 14 years seem to be a popular point at which people have had enough. Im in my 14th year now. 

Posted
    Have you secured a teaching post lilac25?
    Posted

Hi

No I haven't, the thought of starting induction makes me feel physically sick, so i really don't think teaching is for me! Never say never though!!

Posted
    I think that the thought of returning to school after two weeks of 'normal' does make one reflect upon what life could be like in a world outside of teaching. I've resigned to leave after CA work is marked, but it seems such a long way off; I worry that my 'dream job' will be advertised at a time that I won't be able to enjoy the opportunity. How have other job-seekers coped with this?
    Posted
    You just keep looking.
    Posted

I'm also in my 14th year and thinking of leaving!  I have been in a leadership role and recently moved to another school to do a TLR role so it's a bit of a drop in responsibility but still full on.  I don't like being a manager I've decided!  I don't think I have the energy to do this until retirement.

About 8 years ago I did leave teaching for 6 months and worked in a hospital as a physio assistant with a view to retraining.  In the end, I couldn't afford to retrain so went back into teaching via supply.  I've changed school so many times but never really been that happy and am always thinking of ways to leave.  Might stick this out for another couple of years whilst maybe trying to do some writing on the side and built it up.  Still fancy retraining as a physio or OT but not sure I could afford that.

Posted
    Fiona, I'm of the view that life is too short. You've given14 years to a profession about which my Head told me recently "isn't going to get any easier". Judy Finnegan -she of "This Morning" fame told the Press recently that "tv has sucked the life" out of her; I'm afraid that after 'just' 11 years I feel the same way about teaching. I've given it a good 'go', but I don't have too much more left to give.
    Posted
    You're so right.  I feel like, at 36, if I want to try something else then I need to go for it.  I've given teaching my all.  It's a shame as I've always had such good feedback but it just takes way too much out of me.  I don't think my partner really understands that (lovely as he is!) as he just thinks I get nice holidays.  It's hard to explain the emotional exhaustion (and sometimes physical too).   Going torwards writing / proofreading type things would probably be an option and I could start it whilst I'm still teaching.  Other types of retraining have a bit of a financial implication though and we're just about to start househunting!  I'm sure I'll work something out though.  Although I'm very new into a job, I'm just thinking that managing people in particular, is just not for me.  I get too stressed!
    Posted