Head to the TES Jobseekers group to get expert advice on finding your next job. We’ve got tips on application writing and guidance on how to excel at interview. Plus get your questions answered live online by our experienced head Theogriff.
I thought it might halp someone if I posted the questions and processes I can remember from my AHT (secondary) interviews - especially now I can relax having secured a job!
Data analysis exercise
Lesson observation and feeding back
Teach a lesson
'Round table' activity (observed group discussion)
1. Why do you want to work in this school?
2. Why did you go into teaching?
3. Why do you want to ne an AHT?
4. What do you think the difference is between being on a leadership team and middle management?
5. What leadership style do you use?
6. What leadership style do you use now and why and tell us about an occassion that you used a different style and why?
7. How would you go about leading departments that you line manage?
8. Describe a whole-school initiative that you have lead, how you set it up, ran it and analysed its success.
9. How do you think you would develop _____ (insert an aspect of that AHT particular role from the job description) in ______ school.
10. What do you look for in an outstanding lesson?
11. How do you feedback lesson observations to staff?
12. What aspect of ECM do you think is the most difficult to imbed in school and why?
13. How would you manage a difficult member of staff?
14. What would you do if a member of staff is not performing to a satisfactory level?
15. How do you ensure that staff take accountability for examination results?
16. Describe an occasion when you have worked with the local community as part of your role in school.
17. What outside agencies have you worked with? (There was more on this but I can't remember it..)
18. Describe an occasion when you have been concerned about the wellbeing of a student and what action you took.
19. How do you think _____ (insert one of the processes they put you through) went and how would you improve it/ your performance in it.
20. What are your three biggest strengths?
21. What is your biggest weakness?
22. How would you contribute to the school ethos? (It was a faith school).
I hope that this helps someone...
And now I can't even spell the word help.....
Thank you for this, people will appreciate it.
And very well done for getting that job!
You're a real star!
Make sure that you go to the Welcome thread at the top of the Forum and read the Interview clickables inside there.
Best of luck to you all.
TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
The TES Careers Advice service runs seminars and workshops, one-to-one careers and applications advice, one-to-one interview coaching and an application review service.
I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
E-mail Julia on email@example.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
Look forward to seeing you!
I'm very impressed that you can remember all the questions, and of course that you got the job! Hope I can post the same sometime soon.
Not a good idea to share application documents.
Some Local Authorities are using plagiarism software to identify "shared" application documents, and advising school to reject candidates who have been inspired by others' documents to the extent that they have identical or near-identical sentences or paragraphs.
So please do not share documents! Write your own.
I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
New Job Seminars on Sunday 26 June.
Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!
A new Moving into Headship and SLT seminar is on 18 June.
See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
Hi,I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Executive assistant interview questions
Authorities are using plagiarism software to identify "shared"
application documents, and advising school to reject candidates who have
been inspired by others' documents to the extent that they have
identical or near-identical sentences or paragraphs.
do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
I agree 100% Theo. DON'T DO IT.When applying for a recent post a friend asked if I would like to see what they had written for a similar post a few years ago. I declined. By writing your own application you are putting yourself into it. By using someone else's it is not you. I do always get someone to read through my application once I have fully completed it. This is much more beneficial. Ask someone who's judgement you trust, someone who is able to be give you constructive criticism. Also when people have asked to see something that I have written I always say to them "My experiences and yours are different so it would really be of no use, you should be selling your skills and talents not someone else's"
Top of page
This website and its content is subject to our Terms and Conditions. TES Global Ltd is registered in England (Company No 02017289) with its registered office at 26 Red Lion Square London WC1R 4HQ.